Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Honor roll

As many of you know, our first marking period came to a close a little over a week ago. Last Friday report cards were sent out, and I can tell you that there must be many parents and students who are very happy with what they received. I was looking at my honor roll list this morning and saw that 58% of our kids had nothing but A's and B's on their report cards. What a great way to begin the year!

Really, though, this doesn't surprise me. I learned very early in my time at Henley that we have an incredibly talented group of students. Many of our highest achievers not only excel academically, but are also involved in multiple activities outside of school including sports, scouting, and music, amoung others. These children should all be commended for the work they have done so far this year.

I would be remiss here if I didn't also give a great deal of the credit for our students' success to the incredibly talented classroom teachers that we have at Henley. The time I value most at school is the time that I spend in the classrooms seeing our teachers at work. They are truly following the new "three r's" by developing positive relationships with the children in their classes through rigorous and relevant instruction. Their job is a difficult one that sometimes goes unnoticed and unappreciated and I encourage all of you to take some time to let our teachers know just how well they are doing and how much you appreciate them. Words can't express how good it feels to open an e-mail message first thing in the morning that has a positive message from a parent.

Way to go, Hornets! Every time I introduce myself as the principal of Henley Middle School each and every one of you make me incredibly proud to hold that position. I look forward to your continued success this year and cannot wait to see what the future brings.

Until next time...Go Hornets!