Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Some welcome suggestions

It's been a busy week and a half so far in my new position. Summer school is well under way and, from what I've seen, has been very successful so far. I've been meeting many new faculty members, staff members, students, and parents, from whom I've been trying to gather as much information as I can about Henley and where we can go this year. Everyone I've spoken with has had some good insights and ideas for the future.

One of the highlights of my short time here, and one of my best sources for suggestions for next year, came across my desk just the other day. Two of Mrs. Harder's classes took the time to write letters to me that told me what is was they loved about Henley and what they would like to see next year. I wanted to share some of their ideas here. Reid wanted to bring lacrosse to Henley, Arthur suggested some new basketball hoops to replace the old ones behind the school, Kaitlyn thought eighth graders should be able to eat lunch outside, Ignacio wanted to see more seventh grade students represented on the field trip to Wallops Island, Emma thought we needed more air conditioning in the gym, Peter was concerned about bullying, Bryce was adamant that we should erect a statue to honor his favorite drag racer, and many other students from Mrs. Harder's class had more fine ideas for Henley.

I wanted to make sure that these students were aware of two things. The first is that their voice has been heard. While some of the ideas had more sound reasoning than others, I will take all of them into consideration. The second is that I was incredibly impressed with the quality of their writing and their ability to justify the reasons they felt that their ideas were ones that should be considered. Solid communication skills are the backbone of a strong academic career and of success in the global economy. These students are well on their way to both achievements.

Great work kids, and great work Mrs. Harder. I can't wait to meet you all in the fall and discuss some of the ideas that you had.

Until next time--Go Hornets!